Friday, August 17, 2012

My Mary Kay I Story

This post will be a little long, but it's as short as I could cut my story without leaving out important details that have shaped who I am.

My friend Khan and me. Khan has helped me heal.

The very beginning:  I actually had three people approach me about Mary Kay when I was 23. It was very flattering. Ultimately a friend from church won out. She brought me into the company. I came in because I needed to break out of low self-esteem that I had created for myself. Mary Kay is a very positive company, and I needed that.

Before I signed I went to my dad for advice and his opinion. He’s a lawyer, so I asked him about the contract and becoming an Independent Beauty Consultant. He looked over it for a while and said it was a company that was a direct sale organization, not multi-level marketing or pyramid.  He also counseled that there was money to be made with Mary Kay—that if I listened and learned I would go far in Mary Kay.  I loved that idea. I had two children:  a three year old and a five month old. I wanted to be at home while I was making money and building my self-esteem. Mary Kay was a perfect fit.

When Mary Kay was alive, I had the honor of receiving my first set of keys for my Mary Kay car on stage from her.  She looked in my eyes, gave me a hug, and said she was so proud of me. With her eyes sparkling Mary Kay Ash said, “Keep going and never give up on your dreams.” In my Mary Kay career I have had some health challenges.  Mary Kay Ash found out about one of them and kindly wrote a couple of letters to get well. I still have those letters, they are precious to me.

Life moved on, and I found myself a single mom with two children. At the time Mary Kay didn't offer insurance so I worked Mary Kay and another job to have insurance. I was able to keep my house and take care of my kids. Thanks to a merciful Heavenly Father, family, Mary Kay and hard work, I could keep my life intact.

My sweet family has been so supportive.
I have since remarried now for fourteen years and have a very supportive family. My husband supports me heartily with Mary Kay though I’ve been through several ups and downs. In the midst of going through several surgeries, I did my best to stick with Mary Kay and he did so much to support me. For example: delivering product, taking product orders, talked to my clients or associates and helped me with my orders with the company.

When you go through surgery you change as a person. Your self esteem changes. Your passions changes. You just change. God and family guided me through that. They helped me stay with it. There were times when I was sure Mary Kay wasn’t for me. My family helped me helped me understand why I loved my business so much. And it hasn’t been easy for any of us. Due to two brain surgeries and a car accident in-between, I had to relearn this business three different times. I had lost my passion for it, and I had to learn my “why” again and learn who I am.  What a journey—and I wouldn't change any of it! I have always remembered:  never give up and never surrender to your dreams in life. I am grateful for miracles!

Through Mary Kay I’ve learned how to love women again. I want to help them feel beautiful, to be positive. Mary Kay is such a wonderful way to unite women and help them grow and develop and progress. Mary Kay Ash always said, “When you look at women always see a sign around her neck that reads ‘Make Me Feel Special.’”

My future goal is to move into a Cadillac Unit and fly into nationals. My goal is to be a National Sales Director by 2014. I love finding fun creative ways to promote these brilliant products! I love working with sharp women of vision! I love this company, Mary Kay. It has been my support through much, and I am proud to say that I am a part of the pink bubble! :)

So what's your story? I encourage you to write it down-- and it's also pretty liberating to share it! I'd love to read it if you choose to share it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment